Banana “ice cream”, aka blended frozen bananas, is a delicious healthy summer treat. The frozen bananas take on the texture and mouthfeel of vanilla soft serve ice cream, even more so if you blend them in a food processor rather than a blender. For this treat, however, I used my Vitamix. It was so warm out that by the time I got to take the photo, the ice cream had begun to melt already! It still tasted delicious though.
PB and Chocolate Banana “Ice Cream”
Serves 1 (can easily double or triple the recipe to share with family and friends)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp peanut butter (I made my own)
- 3 or so ice cubes
- a splash of almond milk, plus extra splashes as needed
- cacao nibs for topping (or some chocolate chips)
- Place all ingredients, except the cacao nibs, in your blender or food processor (if it can handle it). Blend away until the mix is smooth and creamy, but still thick. I had to use my tamper for the Vitamix in order to get things going. You will probably need to add more milk along the way, just do so gradually. You don’t want to thin the ice cream too much!
- Once you’ve reached a good creamy consistency, pour your ice cream into a bowl or mug and top with cacao nibs. I love these little guys, as they are packed with antioxidants and none of the added sugar that processed chocolate has. In just one ounce they have 9 grams of fiber and 4 grams of plant protein. 🙂