I went into the kitchen a few nights ago to start soaking my oats overnight. When I opened the refrigerator I saw a HUGE bag of fresh basil my mother had grown in our garden plot. I decided to try incorporating some of this scrumptious herb into my breakfast the next morning. I found several recipes for strawberry basil oatmeal combinations on “Pinterest”, and ended up combining several elements of each. Below is the final amazing product. I couldn’t believe how much I enjoyed it!
Raw Strawberry Basil Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup extra thick organic rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Enough water to cover the oats/seeds
- 5 fresh strawberries
- 1 large basil leaf, or 2-3 smaller ones
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a mason jar, combine the rolled oats and chia seeds. Add water to the jar, until the contents are covered. Place the sealed jar in your refrigerator overnight to let the oats soak and chia seeds become gelatinous.
- The next morning, add the strawberries (sliced), basil leaf (chiffonade*), almond milk, and vanilla extract. Mix up and enjoy!
Note*: Chiffonade is a cutting method for creating long thin strips of herbs or greens. You can easily accomplish this by rolling the basil leaves long way, and cutting the rolled leaf across. This will create the long strips.