In order to host a great Halloween party this past weekend, I delved deep into my recipe box to find a fall inspired drink. What I found was a spiced apple sangria recipe. Sangria is one of my favorite drinks, and I have been meaning to try a new variation on the traditional classic.
A Halloween party seemed like the perfect time to add some fall flavors to normal sangria. The drink embodied an assortment of spices, from cloves to cinnamon to allspice. The recipe is very simple, and proved to be well worth it. Everyone at the party raved about the drink and several asked for the recipe. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of the drink, so I’m using the picture from the site where I found the recipe!
(photo from http://www.mylifeasamrs.com)
Spiced Apple Cider Sangria
Adapted from: http://www.mylifeasamrs.com
Yield: 12 cups or one large pitcher full (I doubled the original recipe)
Spiced Apple Cider
- 4 cups apple cider
- 2/3 cup organic sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 oranges sliced
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients and heat until the mixture comes to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool. Once the mix is cool, strain the liquid to remove any larger pieces of the ground spices.
Note: The cider was reasonably sweet, so I might try to cut down on the sugar next batch.
- 2 bottles of wine (750 ml each)
- 4 cups of the spiced apple cider from above
- the cooked sliced oranges from the spiced apple cider mix
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup brandy
- Combine all ingredients together in a large pitcher. You can add more orange slices if you wish. Allow the sangria to cool in the refrigerator for several hours, to let the flavors combine. Enjoy!