This sauce is creamy, low in fat, and most importantly – tasty! While it has the consistency of an Alfredo sauce, it doesn’t have the unhealthy fats and extra calories. You’ll be eating an extra serving of veggies without even knowing it. 🙂
Pasta with cauliflower cream sauce and steamed kale
Makes: a whole lot of pasta!
- 1 package of pasta of your choosing (I used whole wheat spaghetti)
- 1/2 recipe of cauliflower cream sauce (see recipe below)
- 8 cups of kale (this seems like a lot, but it will reduce down)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. While it’s cooking, steam the kale.
- Drain the pasta, add it back to the pot, and add the cream sauce. Stir the sauce to coat the pasta and add steamed kale.
- If the sauce has gotten cold, turn the stove-top back on and allow the pasta mixture to warm.
Cauliflower cream sauce
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbl olive oil or Earth Balance
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk (I used unsweetened organic soy milk)
- Over medium heat, cook the minced garlic in the olive oil until the garlic is very lightly browned. Add the garlic to a blender.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Add the cauliflower, cooking for several minutes until tender. Remove the cauliflower with tongs and add it to the blender.
- Add the salt, pepper, and milk to the blender as well. Blend until the mixture is smooth.