I was nominated for the Liebster Award by blogger Larice who writes the blog “Feeding Your Beauty”. To access her blog click http://feedingyourbeauty.com/ This blog is all about the healing power of food and eating a whole foods plant-based diet. Check it out for some great recipes!
I was also nominated by blogger Sara whose blog is “Food, Fitness & Folly”. Click here: https://foodfitnessfolly.wordpress.com/ to access her blog. She blogs about food, exercise, and shares personal beautifully written short essays.
I was asked the following ten questions:
1. What inspired you to start your blog?
I started my blog to share my culinary creations with family, friends, and others looking for new recipes to try. I also wanted to document my travels and progress toward marathon completion.
2. Do you have a favorite among your blog posts? What do you like best about it?
My favorite posts are healthy recipes that I created myself out of shear experimentation that turned out surprisingly fantastic.
3. What goals do you have for 2015?
My goals for 2015 are to finish my Masters degree in Public Health, complete a duathlon, and visit Europe.
4. What is one of your favorite books of all time?
I love to read, so this is a really hard question to answer. Generally I enjoy any book about nutrition or the food system (i.e. a lot of Michael Pollan and Marion Nestle). As far as fiction, I love The Great Gatsby, Kite Runner, Water for Elephants, and I hate to admit but I’m a sucker for almost any Nicholas Sparks book.
5. What is your favorite healthy go-to dish?
I start almost everyday with a green smoothie. I blend up the smoothie (generally a banana, kale or spinach, ice, soy milk, cinnamon, and some Vega Protein powder) the night before so that in the morning after my workout, I can grab it and bike to work!
6. Name a food you always keep stocked in your pantry or fridge.
Bananas (for smoothies) and sweet potatoes (to roast them for snacking and adding to salads).
7. What is your best tip for staying balanced and fighting stress?
This is not original, but yoga! It works for me and I think more people should practice it. There are so many kinds with various degrees of difficulty that anyone can enjoy. If you don’t have a studio near you, practice at home using a yoga tape, one of the million YouTube videos, or your own imagination. If you do live near a studio, but classes seem too pricey (the case for me who’s still in grad school), ask if they have a work study program. Many studios have these programs where you volunteer for an hour or so per week at the studio, and in exchange you get free classes! I just recently started doing this and it’s great!
8. If you had a whole day to do anything you wanted, what would you do?
I would cook, read, listen to pod-casts, run, bike, picnic with friends, and garden!
9. Do you use Instagram, Facebook or Twitter in relation to your blog?
I’m on Instagram which I have linked to my blog. You can see all my pictures along the sidebar.
10. Do you ever make your own natural beauty products? What’s your favorite creation?
I’ve made lotion, deodorant, face scrubs, and a teeth whitening scrub. The teeth whitening scrub is my favorite because it leaves my teeth feeling super clean and plaque-free. I haven’t paid too much attention to the whitening aspect to know if it really works. The scrub is just baking soda with some lemon juice to form a paste. Apply some to your toothbrush and brush like you normally would. I generally brush again with regular toothpaste afterwards too.
10 random facts facts about me:
- About two year ago (as of this posting) I ran a marathon.
- This fall I will be going to Europe for the first time ever!
- I’ve been to both Alaska and Hawaii.
- By this August I will have a Masters degree in Public Health.
- This August will also mark the 5th year of me not eating meat.
- I worked at an orphanage in Bolivia for a short period of time.
- In high school I played softball.
- I spent my childhood summers enjoying the beautiful lake my parents live on.
- I got my love of gardening and eating healthy food from my wonderful mother.
- My little sister inspires me more than she knows. 🙂
I now nominate the following people!
My questions for you are:
- What is your favorite recipe to cook?
- Where do you go to find peace?
- What is your favorite vacation spot and why?
- What led you to eating a healthy diet and leading a healthy lifestyle?
- Who has influenced you along your path to a healthy lifestyle?
- What is your favorite type of exercise?
- What is your favorite fruit and favorite vegetable?
- Do you have a favorite cuisine? If so, what it is?
- What is one new food or dish you’ve tried lately (regardless of whether you liked it)?
- Finally, what do you enjoy most about blogging?
Instructions for nominees to follow (supposedly these are the official rules):
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
1. Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
3. Answer 10 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
4. Provide 10 random facts about yourself.
5. Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
6. Create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
7. List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
8. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)