As the weather gets warmer, I love having outdoor picnics. Potato salad is a classic picnic dish, which unfortunately is often heavy in saturated fat. This recipe uses Just Mayo instead, lowering the saturated fat content significantly. For an extra nutrition boost use the most colorful potatoes you can find. I found some red and purple potatoes in addition to some fingerlings. Remember the more colorful your food, the more nutrients (like antioxidants) you’ll be getting. You can add any other veggies, like shredded carrots, sliced radishes, etc., that you’d like. Make the salad your own! Potato salad works great as a side paired with grilled veggie sandwiches or a hearty legume packed salad. Bring along some fruit for dessert and you’ve got yourself a perfect picnic spread.
Picnic Potato Salad
- 2 pounds colorful potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large cucumber, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup Just Mayo (or other vegan mayo)
- 2 tbl whole grain mustard
- 1 tbl dried dill, or 1/4 cup fresh
What to do:
- Boil the potatoes until tender, drain, and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook slice or dice the cucumber, setting aside in a large bowl.
- Mix the mayo, mustard, and dill together in a small bowl.
- Once the potatoes are cool, gently mix them in with the cucumber and add your mayo dressing.