It is officially Bike to Work Week here in town. There have been many fun biking events so far, including a bike-powered smoothie station and live music at a downtown biking awareness event. On Saturday, folks from across the city gathers to clean up sections of the future biking and walking trail. Many more events will take place this week, including the Bike to Work Day breakfast meet up on Thursday. I can’t wait to participate in what’s sure to be an amazing gathering of likeminded active and healthy people, who are helping the environment everyday by choosing to bike over driving a car.
In honor of Bike to Work Week, I created some short video clips profiling local bikers in town for an organization I volunteer with called Ecology Action. You can watch the videos here.
My family also happens to be coming out to visit me for the first time this week, and I’ve been in serious preparation mode getting everything ready. I’ve made some tasty snacks for our local travels, including the energizing oat balls below.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Oat Balls
- 1 cup peanuts, unsalted
- 1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3 tbl maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener like honey)
- 2 tbl peanut butter
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate (look for Fair Trade brands), chopped
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor, except for the chocolate, and blend until the mixture will come together in your hand to form a ball.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Form the mixture into tablespoon size balls. You can refrigerate these to allow them to harden up, or eat them right away. 🙂