This cheese recipe is really from a Mac’n Cheese recipe, but works great as a chip dip or with veggies like broccoli. If you want to make your own healthy chips, simply bake some sliced pita in the oven until crispy. My personal favorite way to eat this is sauce is drizzled over steamed broccoli, cauliflower, or potatoes. Thank you to Allison Rivers Samson for this original recipe, and my mom for sharing it with me. 🙂
Mom’s Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 2/3 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbl fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- optional: your favorite steamed vegetables or pita/tortilla chips
What to do:
- In a saucepan add potatoes, carrots, and water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.
- In a blender process the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup butter, mustard, lemon juice, and black pepper. Add the vegetables and cooking water to the blender and process until smooth.
- If the sauce isn’t warm enough, heat it up on the stove over medium-low heat while stirring constantly. Pour some sauce over steamed broccoli (or another veggie of your choosing) or pita/tortilla chips.