Looking for a simple and quick Valentine’s Day dessert to share with a loved one that’s sure to please? You’ve found one! The big batch I made is already dwindling.
No time before Wednesday to cook? Take advantage of Valentine’s Day chocolate sales, and stock up on dark chocolate bars to make this recipe anytime. Look for organic and fair-trade chocolate to ensure your cacao wasn’t treated with nasty pesticides, and the farmworkers were treated fairly.
Chocolate Glazed Roasted Almonds
- 1 bar of dark chocolate (I prefer a high cocoa percentage of 80% or higher*)
- 2 cups raw unsalted almonds
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Once heated place the almonds in the oven on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat.
- Cook the almonds until they start to split and turn golden brown (around 10 minutes)**. Keep an eye on the almonds after they’ve been in the oven for awhile to ensure they don’t burn. These can go from perfectly golden, to burnt in the blink of an eye.
- While the almonds toast, melt the chocolate in a glass measuring cup in the microwave. Use a low power level to ensure the chocolate doesn’t burn, and stir occasionally.
- Remove the almonds from the oven and drizzle on the melted chocolate. Once the baking mat has cooled, place it in the freezer to allow the chocolate to solidify. Once hardened, remove and enjoy!
*A note on cocoa percentage. The higher the cocoa percentage, the less sugar, and therefore the healthier the chocolate. Choose the highest cocoa percentage you can handle. 🙂
**Roasting the almonds, brings out wonderful toasted flavors.